Saturday, August 19, 2006

Day 2 Skamania, WA

Start of Day 2
"We stayed in a beautiful camp site in an old growth forest by the Columbia River. I knew today was going to be warmer and it didn’t disappoint. The temps were near 100 degrees. I rode along the river through Eastern Washington in some of the most desolate area I have seen. No towns, gas stations, homes for miles. Just dry grass and lots of sun, heat and wind. I could only peddle about 10 miles per hour into a 30 mile per head wind so it was slow going. We made it 72 miles in 7.5 hours. I think I need to adjust my thinking and just go as far as I can as long as I can and then drive to the next rest stop. Tomorrow is supposed to be another scorcher as we leave Walla Walla."
It's hot..
...dry...
...and I'm tired!

Happy to this for the kids...please donate!




Trang Thi Thuy is Thanh’s neighbor. Now she is only six years old, but she had been raped when she was 4 years old by the same boy that raped Thanh too. Her parents are gone often looking for work; her father for days at a time, and her mother gone all day. Her siblings have to sell lottery tickets on the street. So Thuy is the only one to look after the house which is very small, dark and falling apart.

For a long time she didn't tell her parents what had happened to her. Her mom only saw the bruising when she was bathing her one day. Now the whole village knows her sad story.

Children in this family have less chance to go to school because the little girl shared, “My mother does not agree for my sisters and brothers to go to school because she has no money." Her parents have asked her siblings to sell lottery tickets to earn money for their daily living. When I asked her about her hobbies, she told me: “I like to go to school."

We want to help Thuy - we want to give a little hope to this family for a better future.

To help provide scholarships for girls like Thuy please visit www.catalystfoundation.org to donate today.